Thursday, December 9, 2010

Great day at the Safari Park

We had an amazingly wonderful day today! Thank goodness – we needed it!

This morning started with a big tantrum from Zhilu… I don’t even know why, but I really thought the whole day was doomed. I almost canceled going to the safari park, but figured that staying in this tiny room all day would just make things worse. So we ate a quick breakfast and then walked over to the White Swan hotel to meet up with the other families.

The safari park is about 45 minutes away, but it was a pleasant ride and Zhilu did great. After entering the park, we headed first for the train ride through the safari. If you have a car, you can drive through, but they have a little train to ride for those who don’t. From the very first animals we saw, I was enthralled and SO happy that we had come. We got up close and personal with so many different kinds of animals… several that we don’t get the chance to see at all back home. It was great. The park is beautiful, very clean… very Disney-esque (complete with a gift shop to exit through after each major exhibit). The animals seemed very well-cared for, and had wonderful habitats. I was very impressed, and so happy to have done. And Zhilu was in a good mood… he enjoyed the train ride, though I don’t think he could see the animals. And he LOVED the noodles I purchased for lunch… I haven’t seen him eat so well in a few days. He’s kind of a hit or miss eater… one day he’ll love a certain food, the next he will hate it. It will be interesting to see how he does back in the states. After walking a bit, he fell right asleep in his stroller and slept for more than an hour. And he was a little snuggle bunny on the bus ride home. It was wonderful!













































When we got back to the hotel, I joined a wonderful family for dinner at Lucy’s. Aside from Zhilu throwing a bit of food at their Grandma without me noticing right away, it was a very pleasant meal. And then he even tolerated some shopping for me. He was like a sweet little angel-boy today... back at the hotel, we played, did bathtime, snack and now he’s sleeping soundly. He even crawled into my arms to snuggle as he was falling asleep… I totally melted. How did I end up with the sweetest little boy in all of China?

Tomorrow, we leave for Hong Kong in the evening, and then head out early on Saturday morning for the states. So this actually will be my last entry from China… I can hardly believe it! I am SO ready to get back to my normal, “boring” life (nothing is truly boring at home when you’ve got 4… no… 5! Kiddos, and two working parents). It’s funny walking around the island today… all the adoptive parents just look so weary and ready to leave. The majority of the families have already left, so the holdouts are like the last folks standing… and we are beyond done with the trip. It’s time to go home, to have all my children together finally, and to start the next chapter in our lives.

Thank you to all of you who’ve been following along… I will do my best to update once we’re home, for at least a while.

Signing off from China…

6 comments:

  1. Hi Megan and Jack: What beautiful pictures you took in the Safari Park. Fantastic animals! But my favorite is the one of Jack sleeping in his stroller! Can't wait for you both to be back home. Love, Mom and Dad S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey he is wearing his sunglasses!!! Have as wonderful a time on the way home that you can. We have loved following along, thank you Jack Zhilu for sharing your journey to your family with us. May your life be blessed!

    Safe journey,

    Tricia & Crew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the pics. What am I going to look forward to reading now every day? Can not wait to hear that you are home safe! Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have loved following along on your journey, and can't wait to meet the wonderful Jack Zhilu in person. Safe travels back home!

    Brian, Erica, Amelia and Carter

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all your posts and pictures!! Have a safe journey home! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to be home, but I'm totally jealous we misssed out on the safari! Hope you have a great trip back!!!

    ReplyDelete